A controversial point


This may sound controversial to many or some of you; however, it is not important to me how good or bad my student is in my subject. I have no external standard to measure his/her ability against. What is important to me is ‘Is he/she up to – his/her – best’. When I respect learning differences, I don’t just respect that each child learns differently, I also respect that each child may want to learn the amount of Maths too differently! So instead of a standard that everyone must reach, I would develop a hawk-like observation to assess – how high should this kid be pushed?

Tanya’s story
Strong, confident and clear, she knows what she wants to do in life - Journalism. She is already working towards it. Maths is not her top priority. Should I push her in order for her to have a report card that says A+ in all...or should I cut her some slack and support her in her pursuits?


The answer to this question decides at which point you are on the scale of HumaneMaths.

Comments

Bina said…
If the teacher were to discover 'that something of maths' that is relevant to journalism, Tanya might as well be keen to be on board....
Bina said…
if the teacher were to discover that something of maths that would enable enriched journalism, Tanya may jump onto the boat most willingly....and I'd be curious about 'that thing of maths relevant to journalism'.

Popular posts from this blog

Judge a man by the questions he asks!

Discipline models in classroom

Building school communities