estimation in our life

"Why do we need estimation?"

"Why do we need 4 types of estimation?"



 Had a great discussion involving doctors and football stadia on this. The kids love real life connections.



 I also asked them to ask any 5 adults where they use estimation in life. Interesting answers. Some of the adults said, "I never use it!"



 I have told my 7Th graders to ask me whenever they feel like 'what's the use of this?'. The challenge for me is to find the answer to the query!

 Any helpers out there?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cooking! I use loads of estimation while cooking :)
Frank said…
4 types of estimation?? :o0
i'm sure the adults have used estimation, but it's probably so common and transparent that they don't notice it.
if an item costs $19.99 and it's 10% off, would rounding up to $20 and saying it's $2 off be considered estimating the discount? i guess it all depends on your definition of "estimation". i must be working with a different definition because i was unaware there's 4 "types"...
nisha said…
I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful.
mba

Popular posts from this blog

Judge a man by the questions he asks!

Discipline models in classroom

Building school communities